|GAS LEAK IN THE BOROUGH|
|October 14, 2022|
On Friday, October 14 at 1945 hours, the WVFC along with Engine 34 were dispatched to 104 S. 2nd St. in Womelsdorf Borough for a gas leak.
Units were advised that UGI was on scene with an active gas leak and requested FD assistance. Ladder 47 and Engine 34 arrived in service stretching dry lines as a precaution and forced entry into two vacant homes as UGI and FD personnel worked to investigate where the leak was coming from. UGI was able to trace the source to a line in the roadway. PP&L was requested to the scene and remotely shut off the power to several homes on the street as a precaution. Due to the dangerous nature of the incident, residents from several homes in the area were requested to evacuate to the Womelsdorf Borough Hall as crews worked to make repairs which lasted several hours.
Fire police assisted with closing S.2nd St. between Jefferson St. and High St. until UGI could get crews in place with barricades to assist. Fire companies were available by midnight after temporary repairs were made which made the area safe.